Home | About Carolyn | News & Media | Email Updates | The Ledger | Contact
Dear Friends and Neighbors,
The 2022 legislative session is under way. With just 60 days to complete our work, I am hopeful we will use the allotted time wisely to deliver real solutions for Washington families.
2022 session | Legislative priorities
The ongoing pandemic has affected more than our health. Kids are struggling to receive a basic education, small businesses are suffering, and inflation is making life more difficult for families and those on fixed incomes.
It's not all bad news, however; with a four-year operating budget surplus projected to be $8.8 billion, $2.2 billion in reserves, and $1.2 billion in unspent federal stimulus funds, the state has more than enough to help Washingtonians weather this storm.
Alongside my colleagues in the House and Senate, I will be working to:
- Provide tax relief to working families (House Bill 1297, House Bill 1334 & House Bill 1012);
- Repeal the long-term care payroll tax and other new, unpopular taxes (House Bill 1594 & House Bill 1583);
- 63% of Washington voters rejected the long-term payroll tax and 61% rejected the new capital gains income tax.
- Deliver much-needed safety improvements to rural highways (House Bill 1546, REAL Act & House Bill 1605);
- Champion reforms that reduce the cost of housing and childcare (House Bill 1398 & House Bill 1370);
- Give law enforcement professionals the tools they need to keep us safe (House Bill 1588);
- Ensure our kids are safely back to school (House Bill 1476); and
- Address the growing mental health, substance abuse, and homelessness problem (House Bill 1800 & HB 1860).
Another virtual legislative session
Like last year, the Legislature will be meeting virtually. Keeping you informed is a top priority for me. In the weeks to come, I will do my best to remain as accessible as possible and ensure your state government stays accountable and transparent.
Tracking a bill?
Click here to find information on specific bills. In addition, when you visit my website, you can easily view the legislation I'm sponsoring or co-sponsoring by clicking “Sponsored Bills.”
Here is a quick set of “bill tracking” instructions
Go to leg.wa.gov
- On the left-hand panel, click “Bill Information.”
- If you know the bill number, enter it in the search field and hit enter.
- Don't have a bill number? Under the section “Standard Reports,” you'll find alternative tracking tools. You can search based on topic, legislative digests, cross-references and or within a specific biennium.
- If you click on the House Floor Calendar, this helpful tool gives you a detailed list of all bills scheduled to be heard on the House floor each day.
Here's how you can stay connected
My legislative website | Here you will find my contact information, bio, news releases, email updates, videos, opinion pieces, bills, and other information.
The Capitol Buzz | A weekday roundup of online news stories. Click on the link to subscribe.
The Current | An online legislative publication from the Washington House Republicans. Click on the link to subscribe.
TVW | The state's own version of C-SPAN, TVW broadcasts floor and committee action live online.
The Ledger | A legislative news aggregator.
Legislature's website | View bill reports, committee agendas, and information about upcoming activities in the Legislature here.
State agencies | You can find a list of all state agencies, boards, and commissions here.
Want to testify on a bill or other important public policy? Click here to learn about how you can make your voice heard throughout session
I am committed to staying connected with you as session progresses. Please contact me if you have questions about bills being introduced, bills that are scheduled for a hearing, or other state government-related issues.
During session, especially in this virtual environment, my office receives hundreds of emails per week. I will do my best to answer the ones I receive from constituents first, so please be sure to include your home address and phone number in your correspondence.
It's an honor to serve you!
436 John L. O'Brien Building | P.O. Box 40600 | Olympia, WA 98504-0600
(360) 786-7816 | Toll-free: (800) 562-6000