Dear Friends and Neighbors,
Because of state-imposed restrictions during election years, this is my first business-related update in many months. I’d like to begin by thanking you for allowing me to serve you in Olympia for another term. It’s an honor to work on your behalf.
2021 session | Legislative priorities
These are challenging times. In just a few short months, we’ve faced a global pandemic and its ongoing affects on our health, communities and economy. Big changes have drastically altered the routine of our daily lives. Our “new normal” includes the closing of schools and daycares, high levels of unemployment, and multiple business closures. Individuals and families across the state are wondering how they will keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. When will it end?
I may not have all the answers, but I know what my job is: to serve the people of the 39th District, and the state, to the best of my ability. As many of you already know, the legislative session is scheduled to begin in just a few days—on Monday, Jan. 11.
Working side-by-side, we can (and must) rebuild for a better tomorrow. Here’s a list of my top legislative priorities:
- Helping businesses suffering financially because of COVID-19. We must bolster job-producers so people can get back to work;
- Balancing the budget—without raising taxes;
- Getting our kids safely back to school;
- Addressing issues such as mental health, substance abuse, and homelessness; and
- Long overdue transportation improvements for Highway 2 and Highway 522.
A virtual legislative session | 2021
This session is going to differ from any other before it. Rather than meeting in-person, the Legislature will meet virtually. The goal is to accomplish the people’s business in Olympia while keeping everyone safe from the spread of the virus. Keeping you informed is a top priority for me. In the weeks to come, I will do my utmost to ensure the work of your state government stays accountable and transparent.
Here’s how you can stay connected
My legislative website | Here you will find my contact information, bio, news releases, email updates, videos, opinion pieces, bills, and other information.
The Capitol Buzz | A weekday roundup of online news stories. Click on the link to subscribe.
The Current | An online legislative publication from the Washington House Republicans. Click on the link to subscribe.
TVW | The state’s own version of C-SPAN, TVW broadcasts floor and committee action live online.
The Ledger | A legislative news aggregator.
Legislature’s website | Bill reports, committee agendas, and information about upcoming activities in the Legislature here.
State agencies | You can find a list of all state agencies, boards, and commissions here.
Tracking a bill?
Here is a quick set of “bill tracking” instructions
- Go to leg.wa.gov
- On the left-hand panel, click “Bill Information.”
- If you know the bill number, enter it in the search field and hit enter.
- Don’t have a bill number? Under the section “Standard Reports,” you’ll find alternative tracking tools. You can search based on topic, legislative digests, cross-references and or within a specific biennium.
- If you click on the House Floor Calendar, this helpful tool gives you a detailed list of all bills scheduled to be heard on the House floor each day.
Let your voice be heard! Want to testify on a bill or other important public policy? Click here to do that.
Need more information? Please reach out to me directly if you need more details on specific bills or key public policy proposals.
One thing that will never change is my commitment to staying connected with you. Contact me if you have questions about bills being introduced, scheduled for a hearing, or other state-government related issues.
During session, especially in this new virtual environment, my office receives thousands of emails. With so many, I do my best to answer those from my district first, so please be sure to include your home address.
It’s an honor to serve you!